STC150: Cremorne Gardens
In 1875 when St. Catharines became a City, a popular local destination for picnics and gatherings was Cremorne Gardens.
Built around 1860 by Edward James, Cremorne Gardens was located at the corner or Catharine Street and Elm Street, near to where St. Catharines Collegiate is located today.
Edward James came to St. Catharines in 1850 and worked as a coachman and later gardener and was responsible for laying out the gardens at Oak Hill, the home of William Hamilton Merritt.
Cremorne Gardens was a pleasure garden that included attractions for children including a merry-go-round that was pulled by a white horse, a meeting hall for dancing and other events, a “clear lawn of three acres suitable for foot races and other games”, and located within sight of the Welland Railway Depot for ease access.
By 1877-78, Edward James was also selling bedding plants, window plants, and grape vines, all “cheaper than at any other place in the City.”
According to an advertisement at the time, “Cremorne Park is acknowledged the best place in the city for picnics, excursions and pleasure parties.” Sadly, no photos of the gardens exist.
This advertisement for Cremorne Gardens appeared in The Times on May 15, 1875.
Sign up to our News, Notices and Updates
Stay up to date on the City's activities, events, programs and operations by subscribing to our News, Notices and Updates.