Marriage Licences

Please note: Marriage licences are being issued, however, with City Hall closed in reaction to the State of Emergency brought on by COVID-19 special procedures are in place for the application process in an effort to ensure public and staff safety.

Licenses are currently only being issued for applicants with a ceremony scheduled within the next month and at least one applicant must be a resident of the Niagara Region. Please review the documentation required below for applicants who have been divorced as it may take some time for you to obtain these materials.

The City is not currently preforming civil ceremonies.

Please review the information below for more information.

COVID-19 Marriage License Process

The City has introduced a revised process for obtaining marriage licences at this time. 

To apply for a marriage licence:

  • Complete your Marriage Licence Application online and print it; or download the form and complete the paper application. Forms must be signed by both individuals (at least one applicant must be a resident of Niagara Region).
  • Place in an envelope addressed to 'City Clerks Department, Marriage Licence' and mark it as 'Private and Confidential.'
  • Deposit the application in the mail slot at the James Street entrance to City Hall.
  • Email or call 905-688-5601 ext. 1517 to notify staff that your application has been submitted.
  • Staff will strive to issue marriage licenses within one week, however processing time may be longer depending on volume of applications and staff availability. 
  • For faster service, email to notify staff that your application has been filled out. Attach a signed, scanned copy of the application to your email - you will need to bring the original signed application with you to City Hall later in the process. This process can only take place if paying by credit card. 
  • You will be contacted by a member of staff via telephone to guide you through the next steps in the process.

Paying for your licence:

  • Payment of $158.25 is required
  • Credit card payments can be made when staff contact you
  • If paying by certified cheque or money order, this must be placed in the envelope with your signed application prior to contacting staff (i.e. you cannot pay by certified cheque or money order and follow the faster service process identified above)

Next steps:

Upon receiving your application staff will reach out to you to set up an appointment for a video conference to view your identification and divorce papers (if applicable). During this 10 to 20 minute meeting you will:

  • Need to provide two pieces of original identification, and original divorce papers (if applicable)
  • Verify the information on a draft of your marriage licence
  • Set an appointment to attend City Hall and obtain you licence

Picking up your Marriage Licence:

Staff will provide you with a scheduled time to pick up your licence.

As we continue to limit the sharing of surfaces and tools you are required to bring your own pen. If you are following the faster process outlined above you must bring the application with original signatures of both applicants.

Upon arrival call 905.688.5601 ext. 1517 to notify staff you have arrived. Staff will meet you at the James Street entrance of City Hall, calling your cell phone when they have arrived at the door.

Signatures will take place and you will receive other information before receiving your Marriage Licence to take home.


Marriage licences may be obtained from The Office of the City Clerk between 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday to Friday. 

Civil Ceremonies

Looking for a place to get married? Civil ceremonies can now be performed at City Hall, inside Council Chambers.

This service is not being provided at this time due to COVID-19.


  • Complete your Marriage Licence Application online.
  • Print the application and have both applicants sign and date it. Original signatures are required.
  • At least one party of the proposed marriage must apply in person. They must bring in the signed application form along with original identification for the absent person. 
  • Two pieces of valid government issued identification must be presented from both applicants.Only original identification will be accepted. 
  • One piece of identification must be an original birth certificate, valid passport or Nexus Card.
  • Second piece of acceptable identification includes:
    • Original Birth Certificate (with any change of name certificate, if applicable)
    • Record of Immigration or Canadian Citizenship Card
    • Passport
    • Driver's Licence.
    • Ontario Photo Card
    • Aboriginal Status Card
  • A marriage licence is valid for use anywhere in Ontario for a period of three months from the date of issuance.
  • If you cannot complete a marriage licence application online, you can print an application to complete later or pick one up at the Office of the City Clerk.

 Divorced Persons in Canada

  • Must provide the original or court-certified copy of the Decree Absolute or Certificate of Divorce dissolving or annulling the marriage. Please note: we cannot accept a Divorce Order as this is not the final paperwork from the courts.
  • Documents are available at the Ontario Court, Provincial Division in the municipality where the divorce was granted. The St. Catharines Provincial Court is located at 59 Church St. 

Divorced Persons Outside Canada

If you were divorced outside of Canada, you will need to provide certain documents to prove that you are no longer married. The government needs to validate these documents. This process can take up to 4 weeks.

  • You will need to send the following documents to the Office of the Registrar General:

    • marriage licence application form: completed and signed
    • statement of sole responsibility: for each divorce (signed by both people who are planning to get married and a witness)
    • legal opinion letter: from an Ontario lawyer, addressed to both people who plan to get married, giving reasons why the divorce or annulment should be recognized in Ontario
    • divorce decree or annulment: an original or court-certified copy in English or French. If the decree is in another language, you will need to include a translated copy and an affidavit sworn by a certified translator

Once this process has been completed, an approval letter from the Province will be mailed to you. This letter will be valid for 3 months, so you must get married within that time frame. You must bring this letter with you when you apply for your Marriage Licence.

Foreign Divorce Approval packages can be obtained through our office.



  • Minors are applicants who are between the ages of 16 to 18 years of age
  • Both parents' consent is required and everyone must attend City Hall to obtain the Marriage License providing two pieces of identification
  • You are required to complete a Provincial Form 6 upon arrival 

Provincial Marriage Certificates

Applications for a Provincial certificate of marriage may be obtained from Service Ontario or The Office of the City Clerk at City Hall. Applicable fees charged by the province are set out on the application form.

Office of the Registrar General
189 Red River Rd., P. O. Box 4600
Thunder Bay, ON, P7B 6L8.

Phone: 1.800.461.2156 or 416.825.8305


The fee for a Marriage License is $158.25. 

Copyright © 2014 The Corporation of the City of St. Catharines