Bills & Meter Readings

Are you Moving?

The lawyer acting on behalf of the purchaser of a property normally advises the City once the sale has taken place. If you have purchased a property and wish to ensure that the correct name(s), mailing address and phone number information have been received along with a current water meter reading, please contact the Water Billing Section with the contact information listed in the bottom left corner.

Alternatively residents who have purchased or sold a property can use our online form to ensure their information is up to date and to notify the City of a new water account or account closure.

Water Account Property Transfer Form


The City of St. Catharines has designed a water/wastewater bill that is easier for customers to understand.
Read our guide to Understanding Your Water/Wastewater Bill.

Are you curious what your next Water/Wastewater Bill will be?
If you have your before and after meter readings and/or know your total consumption, see the column to the right for a direct link to our Water/Wastewater Consumption Calculator.

Pre-authorized payments 

The most convenient  way to pay your water bill is to enroll in our Pre-Authorized Payment Plan.

For billing inquiries, please call 905.688.5605

For payment and collections inquiries, please call 905.688.5601 ext. 1418

Go paperless with e-billing

The City of St. Catharines is going paperless, offering residents the opportunity to receive their property tax and water bills in an environmentally friendly, simple and secure way.

Visit our water and tax e-bill portal and access your water and tax bill information anytime, anywhere, with just a few clicks. Residents have the opportunity to receive their bills digitally instead of through the mail, and will also be able to access property tax instalment dates, assessments and transactions, as well as water consumption and transactions.

Water and Wastewater Meter Reading and Billing Frequency

The City is divided into 8 geographical sections for the purpose of Water Meter reading and subsequent Water and Wastewater billing.

The sections of the City are identified on your bill by an A, B, C, D, E, F, G or H.

On your bill, just below your Account Number, your section letter is indicated. Find that letter in the chart below to view your normal billing period ending dates.
Meter Cards are mailed to the homeowner in the Spring and Fall, about 2 weeks prior to the billing date. During the summer months the readings are attempted by a City Meter Reader. The bills are then prepared and mailed a few weeks after the billing date.

Normal billing period is three bills per year, mailed every four months.

Section  Billing date  Section  Billing date 
 A March 15
July 15
Nov. 15
 E Jan. 15
May 15
Sept. 15 
 B April 1
Aug. 1
Dec. 1
 F Feb. 1
June 1
Oct. 1
 C Apr. 15
Aug. 15
Dec. 15
 G Feb. 15
June 15
Oct. 15
 D Jan. 1
May 1
Sept. 1
 H March 1
July 1
Nov. 1


Meter Readings

Up-to-date meter readings are used to accurately determine water/wastewater bill. Meter readings can also help identify costly leaks. Water is unique to each household and no two are the same. Be sure to read your meter often so you are aware of your average consumption.

A meter reading reflects the amount of water consumed.

Online Meter Reading Submission

Submit your water meter reading(s) online using our convenient form.

All you need is your meter reading, as well as your account and meter number, both of which can be found on your water/wastewater bill or meter card.

Understanding your water meter

If the water meter has 5 digits and a tenths digit (the number in black), include the tenths in your submission. Based on the example below, the reading to enter would be 037200. If the meter shows more than 1 digit after the decimal, include only the first digit (the tenths) to the right of the decimal. In the example below, the reading to enter would be 003149.
WaterMeterimage1.jpg WaterMeterimage2.jpg


Did you know that leaky toilets are the most common cause of high water bills?

Leaky toilets can frequently go unnoticed. Read our information on Leaky Toilets for tips on recognizing the signs, diagnosing the problem and recommendations on how to proceed.

Water and Wastewater Payment Assistance

The City of St. Catharines offers programs to assist those receiving Ontario Disability Support Program benefits and seniors who pay water/wastewater charges. Assistance programs include an extension to pay and an application for a $100-credit for senior homeowners.

For more information, read our Assistance Programs.

Copyright © 2014 The Corporation of the City of St. Catharines