For over a decade the City of St. Catharines has been educating children and the public about the benefits of water conservation. These efforts continue through in-school public education programs and public information outlets such as displays in our local malls and at home shows.
Each year, the City holds a rain barrel sale to help residents conserve water.
The 2014 Rain Barrel Sale was held Saturday, May 24 at the Seymour-Hannah Sports and Entertainment Centre.
Rain barrels can still be purchased at retailers across Niagara. Please note: discounted rain barrels were only available as part of the rain barrel on May 24. Rain barrels purcased at retailers are not discounted.
Why you should get a rain barrel
- Reduce water pollution by keeping rain water out of sewers
- Reduce the amount of bacteria, oils, grease and other pollutants from getting into local waterways.
- In areas with combined sewer overflow systems, the redirection of downspouts into rain barrels diverts excess water from wastewater treatment plants.
- Rain barrels are ideal for plants. Rainwater naturally doesn't contain minerals, chlorine, fluoride and other chemicals so it will help your plants thrive.
- Reduce peak water demand. Reducing the amount of treated municipal water used outdoors lowers the peak water demand during the summer months.
- Check out our Rain Barrel factsheet for more information
Please see the below for links to detailed information on other water conservation initiatives.
Download the Green Gardening factsheet.
Download the Water Efficient Landscaping factsheet.
The Niagara Region has more information available on water conservation available on their website.
Visit the Niagara Region website for more information on water conservation.