There are two different types of Liquor Licences. Applications may be obtained for either a permanent establishment such as a restaurant, bar or tavern or a Special Occasion Permit for small informal gatherings where liquor will be served.
Liquor Licences are granted by the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO). Planning Services assists business owners by coordinating municipal approvals confirming the establishment meets Fire Code, Building Code an Public Health regulations.
An application package is available through the AGCO, 90 Sheppard Ave. East, Suite 200, Toronto ON., M2N 0A4 or 416.326.8700.
Visit the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario.
This package will include a Municipal Information Form that must be completed and delivered to Corporate Support Services, Clerks, Third Floor, City Hall. Corporate Support Services will then:
- Require that a more detailed information form be completed with respect to the property.
- Receive the municipal information form and require that an application and fee for a business licence be submitted.
- Notify the applicant in writing and inform Planning Services, Transportation and Environmental Services - Building and Development, Fire Services and Public Health that the municipal process has been initiated.
The applicant will then:
- Attend Transportation and Environmental Services - Building and Development to confirm/initiate the appropriate permits/approvals.
- The applicant is responsible for completing all other required AGCO documents and submitting them directly to AGCO.
View a complete outline of the Municipal Liquor Licence process and information related to outdoor patios.
Temporary Extension of Liquor Licences
The Registrar of the AGCO may approve a temporary physical extension of a licenced premises. The applicant must provide a detailed layout//plan of the event and submit it to the City Clerk, third floor, City Hall. A more detailed information form will be provided to the applicant at that time. The municipality will issue a letter of no objection upon receiving coments from Fire Services and Building and Development. Please allow 10 days to process the "no objection" letter in addition to the AGCO timeline.
Special Occasion Permits
The AGCO gives consent to a Special Occasion Permit. This permit is required to sell alcoholic beverages at any occasion that is not a licenced establishment or a private place or residence.
- The application form and AGCO requirements are available at specified LCBO stores or online through the AGCO website.
- Take the application to the designated permit-issuing LCBO store in the municipality where the event is to take place. LCBO Staff can direct the applicant in this regard. Additional information is available on the AGCO website.
- The applicant must provide, in writing, a detailed layout/ plan, with the date, time and location of the event with additional detail should tents be erected. This information is submitted to the City Clerk, third floor, City Hall. Please allow the municipality 10 days for processing the Special Occasion Permit in addition to the AGCO timeline.
- Tents of a specific size require a temporary building structure permit.
View information related to temporary structures.