Types: Permanent Establishment; Temporary Extension of Liquor Licence for a permanent establishment and a Special Occasion Permit.
The Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario, through its application process, grants approval for Liquor Licences.
The applicant will:
- Make application to the AGCO for a Liquor Licence
- Complete the Municipal Information Form obtained from the AGCO application package
- Deliver it to Citizens First, Legal and Clerks Services, second floor
- Provide a detailed floor plan for the business
- Complete a City of St. Catharines application form - provided upon submission
- A Business License is required. The fee is $140
- Attend Planning and Development Services to confirm/initiate the appropriate permits/approvals along with any associated fees
- Contact Fire Services and Niagara Region Public Health to schedule inspections in accordance with AGCO requirements
- Be responsible for completing all other required AGCO documents and submitting them directly to AGCO
For New Outdoor Patios
A Site Plan application and approval is required. Contact Planning and Development Services for more information. A Liquor Licence brochure is provided for your convenience and available in Planning and Development Services.
Planning and Development Services will:
- Coordinate municipal approvals confirming the establishment meets Fire Code, Building Code an Public Health regulations
- Notify the AGCO once inspections and approvals have been completed to the satisfaction of municipal authorities
Temporary Extension of Liquor Licences
The AGCO may approve a temporary physical extension of an already licenced premises for an event. This would include an existing patio.
The applicant will:
Legal and Clerks Services will:
- Circulate the detailed layout of the event to Fire Services, Planning and Development Services and Legal Services
- Upon compliance by the applicant and subsequent approval, the Clerk will issue a Letter of Non-Objection to the applicant for the event
Special Occasion Permits
The AGCO gives consent to a Special Occasion Permit. This permit is required to sell alcoholic beverages at any occasion that is not a licenced establishment or a private place or residence.
The Applicant will:
- Obtain an application form complete with AGCO requirements. The special occasion permit form is available online and at specified LCBO stores
- Take the application to the designated permit-issuing LCBO store in the municipality where the event is to take place. LCBO Staff can direct the applicant in this regard.
- Provide a detailed layout/ plan to Citizens First, Legal and Clerks Services. The plan must included the date, time and location of the event, with additional detail should tents be erected. Tents of a specific size require a temporary building structure permit.
- Allow the municipality 10 days for processing the Special Occasion Permit, in addition to the AGCO timeline.