Transportation & environmental services
The goals of the Transportation and Environmental Services department are to:
- Provide the necessary engineering services with optimum consideration for environmental protection and social interests at reasonable cost levels, and to develop an integrated engineering approach in the provision of these services
- Establish policies, practices and procedures for consistent deployment of resources and to initiate adequate communications with other levels of government to facilitate provision of these services
- Develop engineering training and staff development to provide for future needs
- Ensure constant review of operations to provide consistent, adequate overall service with emphasis on preventive maintenance and to maximize use of resources on an integrated basis.
- Develop the concept that local government in general, and the Transportation and Environmental Services department in particular, shall have as their prime purpose service to the general public
- Carry out all directions of Council in an economical and efficient manner, and to recommend procedures to Council to accomplish departmental purposes effectively.
Engineering and Construction
A variety of programs are administered within this division of TES. Staff provides preliminary engineering, budget planning, detailed engineering, and construction services as required to construct and rehabilitate the City's road network, storm sewer, sanitary sewer and combined sewer systems, waterworks systems and City-owned buildings.
The programs are funded through both the operating and capital budgets, including development charges. Specific programs include road and drainage improvement, bridge and culvert rehabilitation and replacement, sidewalk rehabilitation, new sidewalk construction, water system improvements, sewer improvements, storm sewers, pollution control plan and building improvements.
This division also provides engineering services for the Shoreline Protection Program and Watercourse Rehabilitation Program, and all major improvements at City parks, Library Services and Transit. This division coordinates with the Region of Niagara on regional construction projects as necessary.
View Bids and Tenders
View the 2012 Municipal Construction Projects and Studies
Download the Sod Complaint Form
Christine Adams, P.Eng.
Manager of Engineering and Construction
Email the Manager of Engineering and Construction
The Environmental Services division co-ordinates many of the programs that help protect our local natural resources. Staff monitor water quality in local creeks and at the beaches, as well as deliver various public education programs in schools and the community to promote environmentally responsible practices.
Environmental Services is responsible for:
- Air Quality
- Beach Water Quality
- Drinking Water Monitoring
- Water Conservation & Water Efficiency
- Basement Flooding Protection
- Pollution Control
- Closed Landfill Management
Manager, Environmental Services
Email the Manager of Environmental Services
- Aerial Photography
- City Map
- Engineering Plans and Documents
- Geodetic Control
- Surveys of City owned land and highways
View information on Benchmarks
View information on Mapping, Engineering Plans and Documents
View Information on Horizontal Control Survey
View information on the City's Land Survey
The Geomatics division does not perform surveys on private property for fencing or boundary resolution. If you require further information on private boundary/legal surveys, please contact the Association of Ontario Land Surveyors or one of the Ontario land surveyors listed in the yellow pages under Surveyors-Land for expert advice and professional services.
Visit the Association of Ontario Land Surveyors
Manager of Geomatics
Email the Manager of Geomatics
The Operations division is responsible for the daily engineering operations of the City's infrastructure, including:
Maintenance of roads, sidewalks, culverts and roadside ditches
Response to watermain breaks and other emergencies involving sewer and drainage problems
Maintenance and replacement of water meters
Provision of winter control activities (salting, sanding and plowing) for all roads, including most Regional roads within the City, City-owned parking lots and sidewalks fronting City properties
Maintenance of water courses
Passive park maintenance
- Development and administration of the operations budget, work planning data, infrastructure and equipment records
- Evaluation of the division's operational efficiency and on-going requirements for labour, equipment and materials for current and planned operations
- Responsible for the maintenance of the City's stores of inventory for frequently used parts, tools and materials
Responsible for the repair, maintenance and provision of custodial services for all City-owned buildings and facilities
Responsible for reviewing energy consumption and establishing an energy conservation plan for all City facilities
Co-ordinates with the engineering and construction sections and other City departments to assist in the development of the annual and capital building and improvement program
Responsible for the maintenance, repair and modification of the existing fleet of vehicles and equipment utilized by all City departments (more than 600 pieces of equipment)
Responsible for the preparation of specifications required for the selection, purchase and acceptance of new vehicles and equipment in consultation with other departments
- Transportation Services
- Responsible for the maintenance of all City parking lots and garages, on-street parking and traffic by-laws
Responsible for approximately 700 parking meters, of which approximately 600 are located in the Downtown core
Co-ordinate the acquisition of traffic counts and the review of stop sign and parking restriction requests
Responsible for the maintenance, replacement and upgrade of traffic signals and street lighting
Co-ordinate road closures and the placement of advertisement banners
Download Traffic and Parking FAQs
Dan Dillon, P.Eng.
Assistant Director of Transportation and Environmental Services
Email the Assistant Director of Transportation and Environmental Services
DIRECTOR / CITY ENGINEER
The Director's role is to:
- As part of the Senior Management Team, participate in the implementation of the City's Strategic Plan, and the management of corporate goals, priorities and action plans consistent with Council's policies ensuring that all services delivered are done so efficiently, effectively and responsively
- Develop and implement improvement and rehabilitation strategies that maintain the existing municipal infrastructure and provide for further development requirements
- Develop and implement policies to provide advice and inspection services for all building and development in accordance with all applicable codes, regulations and by-laws
- Identify, develop, implement and maintain all environmental programs in accordance with current and proposed legislation, policies, regulations and by-laws. These programs include solid waste management, pollution control plans, storm and sanitary sewers and water distribution
- Identify, develop, implement and maintain the geographic and infrastructure database including all mapping and survey services
- Liaise with other municipal organizations and agencies of other levels of government in order to coordinate their requirements with those of the City
Ron Tripp, P.Eng.
Director of Transportation and Environmental Services
Email the Director of Transportation and Environmental Services