Stay Informed
e-newsletter Icon

Join our Mailing Lists to stay in the loop

The latest news and council updates delivered to your inbox. Sign up for our e-newsletters.

Facebook Icon
Twitter Icon

Loading...

Download our Pingstreet App   Construction-Map   Public Notices

Power Glen Heritage District

The Power Glen neighbourhood has retained significant ties to its milling and power production past. Remnants of the area's original saw and grist mills, which were established in the late 18th century by Duncan Murray and the Honourable Robert Hamilton, can still be found in the valley below, where landforms remain from the old dam, millpond and spillway that once powered the mills. By the mid-19th century, the area became known as "Reynoldsville" when, in 1854, Benjamin Franklin Reynolds purchased the existing mills from then owner Peter Thomas. Reynolds owned and operated the mills for the next four decades, supplying the large shipbuilding industry and local settlers with grains and flour. Reynolds' home still stands at 28 Power Glen, and retains much of its original character.

The area's first generating station, intended to supply power to the City of Hamilton, was established in 1898, thus prompting the neighbourhood's current moniker of "Power Glen". The six homes on the north east side of Power Glen road, which were built by the Power Company to house the workers of the generating station, also remain.

The Twelve Mile Creek and the trail system in the valley define and provide for connectivity within the area and beyond. On the plateau lands, the tree lined streets, period lighting, and narrow winding road define the streetscape and give the neighbourhood a rural sense of place. These attributes lend themselves to the urban-rural setting of Power Glen, a village in the city that does not dominate over its natural setting.

Power Glen Heritage District Boundaries

 

Copyright © 2014 The Corporation of the City of St. Catharines