Events at the St. Catharines Museum & Welland Canals Centre
Black History Month - Feb. 2017
We are celebrating Black History Month with special guided tours of our award-winning Follow the North Star exhibit! Trace the journey to freedom through a history of slavery and emancipation, racism and prejudice, while exploring the lives of St. Catharines' first African-Canadian settlers.
Tours will be offered every Tuesday (February 7, 14, 21, 28) at 2pm and every Thursday (February 9, 16, 23) at 10am.
We will also be publishing one tweet daily regarding Black History in St. Catharines. These tweets will provide insight into how integral the black community has been to the growth and shaping of St. Catharines throughout our history. Check out our Twitter page
A series of blog posts
will also be published throughout the month of February focusing on specific aspects of Black History in St. Catharines.
Tours are open to the general public. Admission by donation. Space is limited, please call the museum for more information.
Family Day at the Museum - Feb. 20
Meet our "Museum Family" and discover what goes on at your Museum. Uncover museum secrets with our popular tours of the collections vault.
- Explore Out-of-the-Vault pop-up exhibits found throughout the Galleries. Available all day.
- Collections Tours. Large and unique artifacts typically found in the family home will be emphasized in this in-depth tour of the Museum's collection vaults. Tours begin on the hour, beginning at 10am.
- Historic Play - Family Dress-Up. Families can dress up as farmers, sailors, labourers, and in Victorian tradition. 10am to 12noon.
- Letters to Ancestors. Children will learn about current and historical methods of communication and will be invited to use quill pens to compose a letter to their family ancestors. Available 2pm to 4pm.
- Docent Pop-up Talks. Meet up with a volunteer docent and experience a special pop-up discussion on a variety of topics. From 10am to 4pm.
Books & Brews - Feb. 21, Mar. 21 and Apr. 18
Books & Brews is Back!
By mixing museum atmosphere with beer tasting and book club excitement, we're bringing museums into the 21st century.
A new kind of book club experience with a museum twist. Mingle, chat about books, learn new things, and experience brews in a whole new way. It's all happening at the St. Catharines Museum and Welland Canals Centre.
Includes tasting seminars presented by Mahtay Cafe and Lounge, and podcast study guides for an enhanced immersive experience.
Details and prices
- $35 per person, per event. Admission includes copy of the book, tasting seminar and podcast.
- $15 per person, per event if you already have a copy of the book - includes tasting seminar and podcast.
- This is a 19+ only event.
- There is a registration cap of a maximum of 15 people per event.
Obtaining your copy of the book
- Register for Books and Brew
- Stop by the St. Catharines Museum and Welland Canals Centre (Lock 3 - 1932 Welland Canals Pkwy.) to pick up your copy of the book.
- For those who are attending all three readings, each book will be available by Friday, Jan. 13.
- Remember to leave yourself plenty of reading time!
Three options for registration:
Please direct questions and concerns to Museum staff at firstname.lastname@example.org (subject: Books & Brews) or by phone at 905.984.8880.
Books & Brews Winter 2017 Events
Tuesday, Feb. 21 - SOLD OUT!
All available spots for the February 21 session of Books & Brews are sold. Please register for our March and April sessions soon to avoid disappointment!
7 p.m. - 9 p.m.
"The Underground Railroad" by Colson Whitehead
Tasting Seminar focused on Tea, presented by Mahtay Cafe & Lounge
Tuesday, March 21
|7 p.m. - 9 p.m.
"In the Skin of a Lion" by Micheal Ondaatje
Tasting Seminar focused on Coffee, presented by Mahtay Cafe & Lounge
Tuesday, April 18
|7 p.m. - 9 p.m.
"The Illegal" by Lawrence Hill
Tasting Seminar focused on Beer, presented by Mahtay Cafe & Lounge
PA Days at the Museum - May 19 and June 9
Join in the fun on your day-off from school. Adventures await during our PA Day programs in 2017. Explore the Welland Canal, search through the Museum's collection, and even create your own exhibit to be displayed for the public!
For more information, click through our PA Day programs by date below.
Details and pricing
Program registration is $5.00 per participant. Programs run from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.; class sizes are limited. All children must be accompanied by an adult.
A cookie-and-juice snack break is included. Please alert us to any allergies at registration.
Three options for registration:
Please direct questions and concerns to Museum staff at email@example.com (subject: PA Days) or by phone at 905.984.8880.
PA Days Programs
Friday, May 19 - History Hunters
Help us, History Hunters! An evil historian is trying to erase William Hamilton Merritt from the historical record and take credit for building the Welland Canal. We need your eyes, ears, and thinking caps to search the Museum from gallery to collection spaces for clues from the historian in order to stop him in time.
A wild adventure, filled with twists, turns, and special video messages from WHM himself, provides participants with a fun, hands-on history adventure at the Museum, like no other program!
10 a.m. - 2 p.m.; $5.00 / participant.For students grades 4-6, accompanied by an adult. Snack break included. Please alert us to any allergies at registration.
Friday, June 9 - Junior Engineers
|Calling all Jr. Engineers! Earn your official Jr. Engineers certificate after participating in this program all about transportation and the operations of the Welland Canal! Fun, engaging, and memorable, this structured program will be a hit with young, inquisitive minds!
10 a.m. - 2 p.m.; $5.00 / participant. For students grades ELKP-3, accompanied by an adult. Snack break included. Please alert us to any allergies at registration.