Constructed in 1879 by James MacDonald, the former town hall building has undergone many changes and served a variety of purposes and activities. The building was designed by William B. Allan and constructed using local sandstone on the exterior. At various times, it has housed a community centre, museum, mechanics institute, library, post office, school board offices, fire and police station and the municipal offices of Merritton until amalgamation in 1960.
The building itself is a rectangular structure made of local sandstone and is described as Victorian architecture. It has many interesting design features such as contrasting quoins, a stinger belt course, and radiating arch voussoirs over the windows and doors. The most distinct feature, a projecting bell tower, comprises a great amount of detailed stone work and an interesting shape of roof. The hip roof is trimmed with a boxed cornice with a frieze and brackets. The front double doors have a fan transom and are inset in the centre of the bell tower.